I never really intended to use this blog for getting things off my chest but every once in a while I feel it necessary. At my place of employment our dress code is technically "business professional". Now I'll be the first to admit that I don't wear a suit to work 5 days a week however in it's place I always make sure that my appearance would be appropriate were the CEO to walk in the door of our suite. For a man this is an easy task...trousers, dress shirt, tie..it's that simple. For women we struggle with coming up with multiple outfits so as not to feel like we look the same everyday, I get that. What irks me is the lack of effort some people (some women) put into their appearance. I get up at the appropriate time every morning to make sure the crease is ironed in my pants or my sweater is appropriately de-lint-i-fied. I'm certainly not declaring myself the fashion police by any means but come on people, don't you want others to think you take your job seriously? I feel like if Stacy and Clinton were to walk into our office sometime they would be horrified! A black v-neck tee shirt and stretch pants is not business professional under any definition of the word.
Today things got pushed to a new extreme. As I was walking to get lunch today from the cafeteria I saw a whole group of people wearing jeans and sweatshirts. Yes...there is a lot of snow on the ground...yes, it is in the 20's outside...yes, ice had to be scraped off cars this morning but what does that have to do with sitting at your desk and working? Today was not Friday, not that I even think that would be appropriate for Friday. The only thing that changed about my day was that I wore my Columbia snow boots in from my car and then put my heels on. Maybe I just hold myself to a higher standard than others but my opinion is that if we're going to have a dress code, shouldn't it be enforced? Can anyone else relate?? I don't know why this gets under my skin so much but it's just frustrating!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I absolutely agree! The guy I sit next to (and used to makeout with) wears holey jeans sometimes. WTF?
HI LAURA!!!! Omigosh, I can't believe I found you AND Sallie on here! Too funny!!! Come visit us over at www.babblingabby.blogspot.com! I'll be reading :)
Post a Comment